Leadership + Service
Regional + Local
- International Scientific Committee on 20th Century Heritage, International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS), Expert Member. January 2008 to present.
- Richard Neutra Institute for Survival Through Design, Vice President. Los Angeles, California, 2006 to 2014.
- Recent Past Preservation Network, President. June 2000 to October 2010. Established and governed first national organization focused on protecting and saving historic buildings and structures dating from the last fifty years, or the "recent past." (www.recentpast.org) As president, oversaw a 10-year effort to save the historic 1961 Cyclorama Building at Gettysburg National Military Park, designed by internationally renowned architect Richard Neutra. Secured an $800,000 pro-bono commitment from Sonnenschein Nath & Rosenthal and won a suit against the U.S. Department of the Interior to follow federal regulations in regards to protecting listed historic properties. Worked closely with J. Carter Brown, director emeritus of the U.S. National Gallery of Art, private lobbyists, architects, historians, universities, and non-profit partners during the campaign to preserve the structure. Also began a marketing/public education campaign and website to advocate for the protection of historic structures. Participated in professional conferences nationwide, including the National Trust for Historic Preservation and the Society of Architectural Historians. Held regular board meetings, assisted in the determination of significance for target buildings, and supervised corps of volunteers.
Regional + Local
- DOCOMOMO/NOCA, Advisor. Local chapter (Northern California) of DOCOMOMO, 2010 to 2014.
- Friends of the Neutra VDL Research Site Planning Committee, Board Member. Silver Lake, Los Angeles, California.
- Friends of Santa Fe Bank Building, Advisory Committee. Palm Springs, California, January 2010 to 2014.
- Rockville Recent Past Advisory Committee, Advisory Member. Rockville, Maryland, 2007 to 2013..
- Minoru Yamasaki Preservation Committee, Advisory Member. Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan, 2010-2012.
- Preservation Piedmont, Vice President. Charlottesville, Virginia, January 2003 to May 2005.
- Preservation Piedmont, Board of Directors. Charlottesville, Virginia, January 2001 to January 2003.
- Save the Edgar Allan Poe House! Webmaster and advocacy assistance. New York, New York, 1999-2000. Now off-line.
- reCyclorama: The Campaign to Save Richard Neutra's Cyclorama Building at Gettysburg, Executive Director and Founder. April 1998 to 2013.
- Society of Architectural Historians, Thomas Jefferson Chapter, Secretary. Charlottesville, Virginia, 1997-1998.